May 21, 2007

Letting divine Love be true north

finding true north

It remains a mystery how my two good friends could go so wrong. It was easy (for me) to see exactly what changes needed to be made so that their lives could get back on track. Trouble is, neither of them felt anything was wrong with their attitudes, or how they lived. Fact is, they didn’t even know each other.

So what did they have in common? Me, as chief and self-appointed critic.

I do try to listen to God a lot. So while I was dithering about my friends, I was also kind of praying, and God, whom I alternate between calling Father-Mother, and Love, asked these questions. “Andrew needs to change? Ed needs to change? What’s wrong with this picture?”

When we are willing to listen, and hear the answers from God’s point of view – even things we think we really don’t want to hear – God has a way of speaking to each of us in a way we’ll understand. I got the point right away. God was telling me I was not their boss. That He/She is in charge of all His children, and is constantly speaking to each of us, telling us whatever we are willing to hear.

Appreciating God’s part in this conversation, I backed off from the dithering. The next day a dear friend reminded me of the best way to help difficult people in our lives -- to love them. To love whatever it is God loves about them. And if we cannot think what God could possibly love about them, that’s OK, because God knows what He loves about them.

Whatever they need to sort out in their lives, will get sorted out much more quickly as we love and support their true selves as God knows them. Whatever they may be indulging that is ungodlike will dissolve sooner in the bright light of love.

I was immensely grateful to realign my thoughts with healing, rather than criticizing. It feels so natural to side with Father-Mother Love. As a compass needle swings naturally to the north, so God is my true north. I know I’m on the right track when my goal is just to love God's creation, when I am divine Love centered.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, this is such a gentle reminder that all we need to do is yield to God's direction, instead of feeling that we need to do the directing. It's a natural thing to do.