Jul 15, 2007

Toscanini's trumpet player

Arturo Toscanini is said to have told a trumpet player, "God tells me how the music should sound, but you stand in the way."

Glad I wasn’t that trumpet player! Being chewed out by Toscanini would be something to remember. A maestro brings out the harmony, the music’s special messages – its sorrows, and joys, its struggles and triumphs. He or she molds the music by sharing his vision with the musicians.

Christ works pretty much the same way. Christ knows the whole score, the big picture, and shares the vision of what our lives can be -- our lives are the music God has written for us to play. So even while we are participating in the beauty of living the music that is our lives, we’d best not get in the way of it.

What helps me to stay aligned, and to not get in the way, is to keep an eye on what is good and worthwhile and constructive, because that's what God is doing in the world. If I begin to feel burdened or imposed on, or if things are not coming together, that’s a clue that infinite good has slipped from being central to my day. At the risk of mixing metaphors, some wag noted, If God is your co-pilot, change seats.

Because whatever God gives me to do is not a burden – He/She is right there with me, giving me right ideas, helping me bring out the best in others, helping others to see how to give their best. If what I'm doing is burdensome -- it didn't come from God.

Where conflict arises – that means I’ve become Toscanini’s trumpet player. Somehow I’ve gotten in the way of the plan. And usually it’s because I’ve forgotten to ask God what to do next, and just plunged ahead with my own interpretation, my best guess.

The good news is, it’s never too late to ask God what to do, how to do it, where to go. And if we really want to know, God tells us. Usually we have to silence the chatter of our own opinions, anxieties, likes, and dislikes before we can hear. But He/She always answers our honest questions.

When the musicians perform under a skilled conductor’s interpretation of the music, the results can be magnificent.

When we do our part in God's magnificent purpose, humbly and with loving attention to detail, the results are huge in their potential for universal blessing.


Related links:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just checked out your blog. As a cellist, I was interested in seeing your photo and reference to Casals and your article about Toscanini. I have heard other stories about this demanding maestro.

Speaking of conductors, you wrote, “He or she molds the musicians to his vision of shaping those messages.” I have played in the same community orchestra for over 50 years, but I have never thought that a conductor molded me. Instead, I think the conductor molds the music by sharing his vision with the musicians. Does this make sense?

Sandi said...

Jayne, you speak as a professional musician, and I love your concept of the conductor sharing his vision of the music, rather than molding the musicians.

So I've adjusted the text to reflect your wonderful insight. Thanks so much for sharing!