May 8, 2007

"Lean on me."

It was really discouraging. Bookkeeping is not high on my list of favorite tasks anyway. Then last month two financial statements defied balancing. Neither came anywhere near the required figures.

But as I prayed,
it occurred to me that although this looked like it was all about banking, this wasn’t really about balancing statements at all. It was about learning to rely on God for all my needs, big and little, significant and ordinary.

He who does all things well, was saying, “I’m here for you. Yes, even for this. Lean on me.”

God is here for all His children, all the time. 24/7. Never too busy, too tired, too anything. I know that’s true, but I needed this gentle reminder.

“Oh! Thanks for that!” I meant it. For several days I went about my business attending to other things – work, chores, neighbors, family. Whenever I thought about the balancing, I just thanked God for letting me lean on His goodness and allness as the reality in my life. The other day, it seemed time to sit down and tackle these statements again. I prayed first, thanking God once again for being the one universal Mind who knows all the answers.

It became clear that a statement for the previous month on one of the accounts was affecting the figures for the present month. So I asked God to show me how to fix that. In very orderly steps, that statement came to balance. Then the present month also balanced. The other account balanced as well.

I was overjoyed to feel these heavy burdens lift. Praying, listening carefully to what God would tell me, had shown me the right steps to take. God is so good!

For who hath known the mind of the Lord,
that he may instruct him?
But we have
the mind of Christ.
St. Paul

No comments: