Dec 11, 2007

Saying "No!" to doubt - over and over


Sometimes good listening pushes us way out of our comfort zones, out of our comfortable little habits. Sometimes we just can’t afford to doubt. Alan’s 9th birthday party was Sunday noon, and I was bringing the cake.

Only problem was that I realized with dismay – on the way to a Christmas party Saturday evening – that I hadn’t ordered a cake, nor baked one. What to do?

Previously I might have wasted a lot of time condemning my inattention to this important detail. But one great lesson God has been teaching me is to bypass the blame game, and get on to the solution. So instead of self-recrimination, there was just a simple, “Father what should I do?” Should I skip church in the morning, and buy ingredients for a quick cake?

The answer that came was, “See if you still have that carrot cake mix you bought recently.”

So I enjoyed the Christmas party, came home and there in the pantry were the needed supplies. Doubt asked, “Does Alan even like carrot cake?”

Rebuke to doubt: "Be quiet!"

I followed my intuition and went ahead and baked a 13 x 9 flat cake.

Doubt asked, “Not even a traditional layer cake?”

Rebuke to doubt: "Hush!" This cake saga became even more unusual, as I cast about for decorations for the blank looking cream cheese frosting.

The thought came, “Let Alan decorate it.” Doubt asked, “Let Alan decorate his own cake? That he may not even like?”

Rebuke to doubt: "Go away!"

So I stopped after church at a grocery store, and found decorating supplies. Alan and younger brother Lee were at the other Grandma’s when I arrived at their house. Doubt asked, “So the boy isn’t even here. Now what?”

Rebuke to doubt: "I am not listening to you!"

Other Grandma and boys showed up shortly in good spirits. Fast forward. Alan, totally engaged, uses a skewer to outline a Calvin in the frosting, then fills in the outline with decorative colors, encouraged by great grandma and great grandpa.

Little brother comes over and is impressed; asks to help place the candles. Mom takes photos. Everyone praises the artist. In short what started out as a catastrophe becomes a happy success.

The apostle Paul was speaking of much more serious matters when he wrote to his fledgling church in Rome,


“Moreover we know that to those who love God,
who are called according to his plan,
everything that happens fits into a pattern for good.”
(Phillips)

I believe this applies to the minutiae of daily life too. If we are doing our best to know how to please God and love our fellow man, He/She is there for us in the details as well.

But we do have to say "NO!" to doubt. As many times as it takes.

No comments: