Dec 30, 2007

Sorting

What's useful?
and what needs a new home?

“I wish I lived closer. I am a great organizer and pitcher!” My friend in another state heard I was majorly reorganizing my rooms and furnishings.

As I see it, God thought my friend's reorganizing and tossing was a great idea, because He/She sent my sister and my cousin this afternoon, and we had a pitching party!

The girls established four categories:

  • Sort - what is useful? What needs a new home?
  • Keep - because it is useful
  • Give away - because it needs a new home
  • Toss - would not bless anyone

And everything was consigned to one of these areas. This is proving to be a highly effective approach to clearing out clutter, to discovering what is really important and relevant. I have been able to let go of some things I had previously clung to -- but really had no present usefulness.

This is also an effective approach to life.

We have an opportunity every day, every moment to first:

  • Sort thoughts as to whether or not they come from God. Whatever is good and fair and honest comes from God
  • Then either keep and honor a thought because it is a useful and from God
  • Or give it away because it is so good it needs to be shared! (The neat thing about sharing a good idea is that we are not diminished by sharing. Good multiplies when shared.)
  • Or toss it in the trash because it obviously is not from God, therefore cannot in the long run give either satisfaction or blessing

So as I sort through the sorting pile they kindly bequeathed me, I will remember that what is really going on is the sorting of thoughts – determining which are useful and worth keeping or sharing, and which have served their purpose and need to be discarded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a good way to start out a new year. Clean house both physically and mentally. And I love your way of telling us just how to do this.
Thanks