Sep 28, 2007

Traveling with Paul

Ships in Bible times

Paul, as in the Apostle, is my theme today. I’m traveling with him mentally, perhaps spiritually.

What I’m loving about Paul right now is the fact that his many trials increased his conviction that he could never be separated from the love of God.

Never.

Shipwrecked, three times, he says. Beaten, stoned, often in danger from those who hated his words, in danger in the city, in danger in the wilderness, at sea, and among those who pretended to be his friends but were not. He adds that he was often hungry and thirsty and cold.

But
never separated from God’s great love.

Fearlessly he forged ahead.

I think, “I’m not Paul. I don’t have to be brave. I’m not a threat to anyone, so far as I know. People don’t hate me - well, so far as I know.”

Yet each day requires some bravery on our part. The events of any given day are unknown when we awake each morning. We assume a certain routine, but that could be interrupted any time – a colleague is promoted, or fired; a treasured friend moves away. Someone who loved us is no longer around.

We can lean on that same great Love that sustained and inspired Paul through much scarier days and nights. Life does go on and, if we’re holding back, we need to shift gears and participate in Life’s fullness. The world needs our caring, our prayers, our peace, our laughter, our involvement.

Paul felt he was a conqueror. He conquered his fears, his insecurities, his doubts, his short-comings - because he knew he had a purpose.

We can do the same. God intends us to be conquerors too. You too have a God-given purpose to bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandi,
I am loving your blog each day! Love the ideas of course, but also love the images you incorporatein to the writing! Thanks for the good thoughts that help me be a better person.

Kim said...

great post!
thx!