Sep 14, 2007

Talking with the animals

Snack time


Communication involves listening more than anything else.

While hiking in Colorado with friends this summer, we were followed out of the tree-line by a gang of three jay-sized birds. They seemed particularly interested in us, so I took a piece of crust from my sandwich, and held it in my outstretched palm. Instantly a jay lit on my hand, took the crumb, paused - perhaps to say thanks, and flew back to the pines.

Without knowing that these (later identified as) gray jays have a rep as “camp robbers,” there was communication. I had understood that if we offered something, they would respond.

Even better, a friend from New Hampshire, seeing that photo, emailed her own bird experiences. “A few years ago I was able to rescue a tiny hummingbird and got to nestle him and let him know he was just fine until he flew off.”

Jen prays about everything, and I know her well enough to know that with this “nestling” she was affirming his unbroken link with his Creator, that his Life was constant, uninterrupted, and that this little idea had an important role to fulfill in Life’s plan.

Jen added, “Just last year when we were screening in our porch, a nuthatch flew in after we had gone into lunch. Evidently he was stunned and wasn't able to find his way out. I picked him up and talked with him while I carried him outside, and do you think the little guy would leave my hand and arm that he was exploring? No, so I had to help him off onto one of the bird feeders.

“A short time after that I was watering one of the hanging plants and lo and behold (I'm sure it was the same little guy) he landed on the plant not 12" from my face and ‘talked’ to me! It was amazing, and I think he was just saying thank you!!”




When the heart speaks,
however simple the words,
its language is always acceptable
to those who have hearts.
Mary Baker Eddy

See fellow bloggers:
Squirrel rescue /Scroll to September 12
Hummingbird communication

No comments: