Sep 26, 2007

Doing the right thing

Chicago transportation - many alternatives


Today I attended an all-day seminar on “The Social Media Revolution.” Very cool insights on the role of blogs and podcasts within an organization.

But that’s not what this piece is about. This is about doing the right things.

I had learned through an email that Bill was signed up for this seminar too and, amazingly, he lives not far from me. I don’t get excited about driving into Chicago, especially during rush hours. Bill had received the same email, so, "Aha," I thought, "Perhaps he’ll offer to drive."

He didn’t. Two days before the meeting it occurred to me to offer him a ride (and then maybe he would offer to drive). Since I’m trying really hard to listen to what I call “angel messages,” those intuitions from God that guide us safely and wisely, I emailed Bill and offered to pick him up.

He accepted – but did not offer to drive. In fact, he needed a ride. It turns out that he is very familiar with side streets into and out of Chicago, and he had a great route for us that avoided the gridlock of the expressways. Because of his newspaper writing background, he shared a wealth of Chicago history unknown to most folks.

He also told me about parking at Midway Airport's CTA lot and taking the Orange line into the city – something he has done often. I was grateful to learn about this practical alternative.

From time to time I’ve noticed that God helps me do the right things – in this case taking the initiative to offer Bill a ride -- in spite of my own line of (well, yes, sometimes self-centered) reasoning.

Speaking of doing right things, I remember hearing how my grandfather came upon a car accident beside the road. Think 1930s. He stopped to help and discovered someone pinned underneath. He should not have been able to physically do this, but Walter was able to lift the car, so the injured person could be pulled to safety.

As I see it, there’s a lot God can do with an honest heart.


Do not forget that an honest, wise zeal,
a lowly, triumphant trust, a true heart,
and a helping hand constitute man,
and nothing less is man or woman.
Mary Baker Eddy



No comments: