Sep 1, 2007

The simplicity of kindness

Helping is natural

We are discussing kindness. And in that context Ron emails: “Saying Yes to loving our fellow man, is saying No to voicing anything unkind.”

Can life be so basic? So straightforward?

When we say Yes to divine Love (who for me is God) as the center of our lives, our thoughts, our goals, are we at the same time making a mental and spiritual commitment to say No to any unkind words?

I like the simplicity. It makes perfect sense. And I’m surprised to easily think of several people who are active in my life and are achieving this genuine, deep, and consistent kindness. What a privilege to know them. They don’t talk about it, they may not even think about it. They just live authentic generosity of spirit.

So I wonder, is this an attainable goal? Can I be deeply caring too? One has to come to terms with the fact that to become consistently and genuinely kind demands monitoring thought like never before.

Saying Yes, agreeing to love my fellow man, means saying No to rattling off at the mouth whatever pops into one’s head. It means rejecting the smart remark in favor of a gentle reply or perhaps even silence.

Yikes.

In fact monitoring thought means being selective about what one chooses to think, because our words are the outcome of our thoughts. I know it’s possible to choose which thoughts to companion with, that we can reject thoughts that make us uncomfortable, because I’ve been applying that principle with some modest progress.

I’m encouraged by something Eddy writes in her book, “Science and Health.” She says, “The
devotion of thought to an honest achievement, makes the achievement possible.”

And, for heaven’s sake, Jesus' answer to Cain’s defensive question, “Am I my brother’s keeper?” – is an unequivocal Yes, in the form of a strong offensive initiative to “
Love one another.”

Apparently love is our debt to God, and love is how we pay it. Not the limited human affection that comes and goes, waxes hot and cold, can be possessive and jealous. But that broader love for mankind that is constant and unconditional. That’s the big stuff. The real stuff. That’s what lubricates relationships, shades them from the harsh glare of misunderstanding, guides them safely through the shallows of envy and criticism.

I may stumble and fall along the way, but so what? I’m going to start saying more Yes to loving my fellow man, and more No to voicing words unkind.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love this post!
Two ideas stand out:
Love is our debt to God and love is how we pay it
AND
I may stumble and fall along the way, but so what?
Love as debt and a method of repayment is a provocative concept.
But the selflessness and focus of saying "so what" to anything that happens on our way to being kind makes me smile, throw down any baggage I may be carrying and join in!