Mar 30, 2007

Stress - what can we do about it?

Traffic at night

We pretty much know what things cause, and indicate, stress. A traffic light turns green and somebody honks because the first vehicle did not immediately take off. I'm not proud to say I've been both those drivers. Maybe you have too.

How can we not be a victim of stress?

I've found that taking all my concerns to God as the one Mind helps a lot. It's good to sit back and have a conversation with this one good Mind. I tend to think of God as Father and Mother, so I might ask, "Father-Mother, here's this anxious thing going on in my life, and I don't know what to do about it. What do you say? What should I be doing here?"

And when I really want to hear what God is telling me, He/She does. It's mostly about learning to be a good listener. I've also learned that a good listener listens, he doesn't do most of the talking.


A dear friend was in the hospital recently, and I spent quite a bit of time with her concerned family, unti the crisis passed. It was a time for listening. Every report, good or bad, I took straight to God. Here are some assurances I heard, "I am the only Life, and my vital signs are very stable. Matter doesn't give life or take it away. I am the Life of all being. There is no other life."

I was comforted by these assurances and, while not voicing them, was able to comfort and support the family, until they were told by a caring medical staff that all was well.

It's easier to be patient and considerate behind the wheel too, when I remember that my purpose in driving is to help all God's children on that same road feel His love.

Patience most valued

Dealing with stress -- Excellent discussion. Allow yourself some time -- 45 minutes.
PC users will need to download Quicktime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
Find Freeplayer on the left side, and uncheck boxes to avoid newsletters and mailing lists.




No comments: