Mar 12, 2007

Cats and the Golden Rule

My niece has two indoor cats who enjoy life, and spend a lot of time playing together. Recently an orange tabby walked past their patio. Midnight felt threatened and arched his back, fluffed his tail and screamed at Fluff. Terrified, Fluff arched her back, fluffed her tail, and screamed back. Niece separated them until the tabby strolled out of sight, and harmony returned.

She learned this reaction is called displaced aggression. When a cat’s territory is intruded on, and the cat cannot do anything about it (being indoors) he may attack someone else instead – hence Fluff’s concern. People behave this way too. Dad or Mom has a hard day at work, comes home and is short with his spouse; who scolds their son who lashes out at his younger brother, who kicks the dog, who nips the sleeping cat who hasn’t any idea what’s going on.

All reaction, isn’t it? I’m loving to learn that we don’t have to react. My mom used to advise, “Count to ten,” when something angers you. Cool off and think of a constructive response. Now we both have found the Golden Rule Jesus taught is even better – treat others the way you wish to be treated. The more consistently I manage to do that, the happier my day goes. Even when the unforeseen tabby – the unwelcome character or event – intrudes, that Golden guideline for relationships (as I remember to apply it) keeps me in line. No aggression, no arched backs, no chain reaction. Best of all, it let’s me help others find their peace and self-worth.

Thanks to Lezli Larsen for the peaceful photo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The kitties are helping me type my comment. I love your new blog sadsad (that was the kitty) and isnt the picture adorable?!

Elizabeth said...

I'd never heard this phenomena - or at least by this label. Have certainly seen and experienced it, though! Thanks for bringing it out for prayerful attention, Sandi.