Mar 21, 2007

What did Jesus do?

My friend Rose said she really needs Jesus as her Savior. She needs him to show the way. When she is fighting discouragement, she looks to Jesus for some ray of hope. When she is struggling to forgive, she needs Jesus’ example of unconditional forgiveness in order to get there herself. When she is battling human will, she needs Jesus’ humble, “Thy will be done,” to overcome that strong emotion. When she feels angry, she seeks Jesus’ spirit of calm dominion to help her put down such stormy thinking.

When we feel we cannot go any further, Christ reminds us, “Hey good buddy, you aren’t alone. Didn’t I promise to be with you always? I’m here for you. Lean on me.”

When wrestling with choices, Jesus’ humanity is my favorite option. He was always doing kind things for people; his biographies (the Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) read like a list of kind reassurances and healings:

Come unto me . . . and I will give you rest.”
“Fear not.”
“Be not afraid.”
“Your faith has saved you.”
“Your faith has made you whole.”
“Go in peace.”

Leaning on Christ, the Spirit of Jesus' life, we can join Rose in looking for solutions in how he lived -- what he said and did -- and go forward in his peace.

"Peace be still" story
Related post: Clutter in our lives. See March 20, 2007.

No comments: