Apr 19, 2011

In Your presence

"In Your presence is fullness of joy!"  The Psalmist has discovered a close relationship to God is a very happy state.

It depends on your concept of God, of course.  If we accept Jesus' God of Love and goodness, that presence give peace as well as vibrancy and joy. 

I discovered that this evening when my grandsons were wound up after dinner.  They were laughing and rough-housing in the living room while I cleaned up in the kitchen.  I sighed.  This could go on for hours -- if past experience set any precedence.  

On the other hand, I pray before I come to spend after-school time with these boys.  Today my prayers were to see more of everyone's Christly nature, that harmony and cooperation that is so natural to all of us.  

Two amazing things happened.  The first was that after school they both got right to their homework without the usual moaning and groaning.

The second was that suddenly, in the middle of the after-dinner rough-housing, there was silence.  The younger boy sat down at the computer and engaged himself in a football game.  The older boy, with a reading assignment, sat down on the couch with his book.   I had brought some paperwork and marveled, as one hour passed another, at the deep peacefulness of the evening.

Every now and then there was a rustle from the living room.  Finally I peaked around the corner and couldn't help smiling!


It's a good idea while reading to change your position from time to time.

No comments: