Aug 25, 2007

Self-worth

Self-worth

Vern looked into the mirror and saw four-day’s growth of stubbly whiskers, and he didn’t care. We met at the mailboxes later that day. I asked if he was sporting the movie-star look.

“No,” he confessed, “too lazy to shave.” I guess my eyebrows shot up. Now even though Vern is well into his 90s, it is unusual for him to not look sharp in every detail. He paused, passed his hand across his bristly chin. “Well,” he said with a smile, “I didn’t think anyone would notice. But if you noticed, I’ll take care of it.”

I like Vern’s spirit – that he agreed not to be stuck in indifference; that someone's smallest caring was enough to boost his morale. Sometimes life is about living in the moment. Sometimes we don’t have plans. When the busyness of family, school, or work – around which we have patterned our lives, perhaps for decades – is not there anymore, then what?

I’m learning to focus my own prayers more consistently around a very simple, “Dear Father-Mother, how can I best praise you today?” And then I try to follow those answers from moment to moment. It might be writing an article or an email, praying for someone or for the world, making a phone call or a visit. I try to be more attentive to the little intuitions that make the difference in following through on my prayers.

I believe that in our little interchange Vern glimpsed something more of his genuine worth, his present purpose, that how he sees himself is important and makes a difference for good.


I love this promise:

“Man, governed by immortal Mind,
is always beautiful and grand.
Each succeeding year unfolds
wisdom, beauty, and holiness.”
Mary Baker Eddy

No comments: