Aug 19, 2007

Measuring up for peace

Is there hope for world peace?

Most assuredly. Here's an example.

Kista
Tippett, NPR radio’s "Speaking of Faith" hostess, revisited a past interview with Eboo Patel, founder of Chicago’s Interfaith Youth Core. He is a deeply committed Muslim, and an activist for engaging the religious energies of young people across many faiths and traditions. She says his work defies the wisdom of secular society, as he creates grass-roots interactions based on service among youth across cultures.

Eboo said something in that interview that struck home for me, a dedicated Bible reader. He said he is less interested in reading theology, and more interested in “observing how religious people actually interact.” He is committed to discovering how human beings can live together on earth, rather than what they write in books.

I also read another book a lot, Science and Health. It's a deeply spiritual book that, like a good Pastor, explains the spiritual meaning of the Bible. And what I hear Eboo saying is, Let me learn your religious texts by observing how you live.

What a heads-up! So I have to ask myself, how do I as a follower of Christ relate to my family, my neighbors, my community? How well do my conversations and my life speak the love Jesus lived? If someone were observing me to find out how Christians interact in society, what impression would they have?

Each person makes a statement weighing on peace by how they live their lives.

For
an eye-opening transcript of their discussion, click on this link:
http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/religiousyouth/transcript.shtml

See also "The diginity of taking responsibility"

No comments: