Mar 11, 2011

Surprise spiritual buddies

I pray to know when to be at my desk, when to run errands, when to take a walk.  And where. This afternoon’s trail was a paved path past scenic spillways designed to help cleanse the adjacent shipping canal.  Several such aeration parks along the canal are achieving their goals.  But that’s another story.


New walking buddy

Hearing footsteps, I turned to see a cheery woman matching my pace.  We introduced ourselves.  We connected very quickly, and Janet (not her real name) shared her story.
 
A recovering alcoholic, Janet is active in AA, and wants a career helping others find their freedom from addiction.  She came from a long line of alcoholics.  At fourteen she dropped out of school, self-taught herself after that, and worked at a good job until alcoholism took over.

“For an addict,” she says, “It’s all about me.  What I want, when I want it.”  She had to learn patience, and she had to find God.

When she was at rock bottom, Janet decided to pray.  Her prayer, she chuckles, was more of an ultimatum, because she didn’t know if there even was a God.   “OK, God,” she said.  “I’ll try AA for three months.  I’ll do everything they want.  If that doesn’t work, I’m gone.”   AA connected her with a sponsor, and she made another pact with God.  “OK, God,” she said.  “I’ll give this relationship six months.  If it doesn’t work, I’m gone.”

During this period she socialized with new friends and discovered she actually had fun being sober.  She realized she was a worthwhile person, that people liked her for who she was.  That there really is life after addiction.  And it’s genuine.

Her 20-year old son, also a recovering alcoholic, began attending AA.  He enrolled at the community college where he lives.  Janet enrolled at her Community College.  This woman, who doubted she had the intelligence to succeed, maintains a straight A average.  Now Janet knows she has a purpose.

She was delighted to learn that I am into spiritual healing. I explained briefly that I help people through prayer to discover their oneness with a loving God.  


“How exciting is that!  I just love God so much!" she said.  I can see why!  We hope to walk together again.

I thank God for enriching my life with surprise spiritual buddies.

1 comment:

bert1929 said...

Hi Sandi,
I have a spiritual buddy also. Many times I have shared excerpts from the Bible Lesson, periodicals or just from the Bible. My buddy loves God and rejoices in His/Her goodness.