Dec 28, 2010

A time to walk

Cuddle time

Chevy is a hopeless cuddler.  He cannot grasp that he's too big.  An equal opportunity pal, he is sure any lap will do, especially if it's on the couch.

Feeling secure is comforting.  I can remember as a child, falling asleep in the family car on the way home from one place or another.  My dad's strong arms would gather me up, carry me into the house, and plunk me gently on my bed.  Mom would tuck me in.  I felt so safe. 

How disappointing to reach a size when instead of carrying me into the house, my parents would wake me up to groggily walk in with them -- on my own two feet.  Probably there was a guiding hand on my shoulder to keep me from bumping into anything.

I was no less safe -- just assuming a little responsibility which took a little more effort.

I think our relationship with God is like that.  Sometimes She carries us tenderly, strongly, in Her arms (as it were).  As we grow in our ability to serve, She sets us on our feet, to discover we can walk on our own.  

Spiritual strength, spiritual listening, a desire to give meaning to our lives helps us find that security and comfort in unselfish service.  At least I haven't found any other way.

Chevy may never outgrow his need for being embraced.  Yet you and I can find some degree of spiritual cuddling (hmm, interesting phrase) as we remember to let our Maker guide us in tangible and meaningful ways, for the sole purpose of helping others find safety and peace in their own relationships to their Maker.

1 comment:

Kim said...

wonderfully cozy and comforting blog... and a great photo to boot!