Apr 4, 2009

Mothering

A calf naps on clean straw
at Kline Farm


Having my grandsons spend the night one-on-one is always special.

I pray a lot about these boys, because it seems important. My prayers include gratitude that the God whom I consider Father-Mother, fathers and mothers all children; and fathers and mothers their fathers and mothers. This caring God gives every one of His/Her children good ideas and the ability to follow through on these good ideas. And it is the nature of each of His/Her children to listen and honor what God is telling and showing them about their innate goodness and love.

While the boys’ dad was in the hospital for too long, both grandmas ran the household and became the disciplinarians. It was not always easy. Now that he is home and things are settled again, I’m watching again for overnight opportunities.

Last night the older boy and I went to a model railroad club in Elmhurst. Serendipitously we met a real engineer, now promoted to a manager of engineers. He and his son were first-time visitors as we were. Once we discovered his genuineness, my grandson plied him with questions, and he generously shared both funny and harrowing experiences.

My grandson chattered non-stop all the way home – about 45 minutes. I listened.



A "Lamb's only"
feeding station -- the doorway
is too small for full-grown sheep


At home we watched West Side Story. He cried at the end as Tony died in Maria’s arms. We discovered this special edition DVD included the complete script. To brighten things up, we sang our favorite songs: “I feel pretty!”; “Officer Krupke”; the wonderful rooftop dance where the Puerto Rican girls sing their delight at being in America, and their boyfriends counterpoint with their frustrations about America.

At the playground this morning, I warbled, “I feel charming, oh so charming! It’s alarming how charming I feel!” (Maria is singing about her great joy in having shared a kiss with Tony.) My grandson, who is convinced girls and kissing are yucky, sang back, “I feel weird, oh so weird; it’s alarming how weird I feel!”

That laughter established the tone for the rest of the day, and we set off for the Kline Farm – an 1890s living history farm run by DuPage County. We took the guided tour of the genuine Victorian farmhouse; took photos of lambs and calfs, and laughed some more.




The naturalness of mothering


It all felt genuine. I felt so much God’s fathering and mothering our time together. I cannot imagine anything happier than that sweet and gentle presence. And I wish this for everyone.

No comments: