Sep 17, 2008

What can I do?

Goal - to end recidivism in Cook County





The Cook County Sheriff’s Department sponsored a Community Outreach conference this morning. The thriving African-American Apostolic Church of God on Chicago’s south side hosted the event.

I attended because my church in DuPage County received an invitation, and because we have a prison ministry.

This was not another ho-hum run-of-the-mill meeting. Sheriff Tom Dart is a man with a mission, who has a vision for the successful re-entry of ex-offenders into their communities. He sees the churches in these communities as the means for embracing ex-offenders, helping them find housing and jobs, thus keeping them from going back to prison.

One of the speakers pointed out that the Bible is a book about prison ministry. From Joseph in Genesis to John on the island of Patmos writing Revelation, from the prophet Jeremiah to the apostle Paul – in other words, from cover to cover – the Bible is the story of a lot of imprisoned people.

The conference’s passionate and committed speakers deeply touched my heart. The contrast with my relatively secure life was sharp. In my community we tell our kids, if you are lost, find a policeman. In the Chicago’s African-American community, they tell their kids, whatever you do avoid any contact with the police. For this community, police equals jail.

I don’t live where the disproportionate African-American prison population returns when they go “home.” I wondered what I could do for this project.

One thing I can do right now is to put “those imprisoned” at the top of my revised prayer agenda. I can pray that the one Mind who inspires community leaders with re-entry programs also inspires the complete idea for these programs, including support and resources.

Through my prayers I can support the courage of these prison chaplains, and through prayer also bolster justice and honesty within the law enforcement system.

Change has begun in the Sheriff’s Department, and that’s no small accomplishment. God, supreme infinite Mind, overrides fear, indifference and apathy, and provides Her own spokespersons.

No comments: