Jun 17, 2008

Going forward

Hiking down from "lunch in the clouds"


A willingness to go forward, and not to quit, is important in so many facets of our life experience.

After lunch, we four (see previous blog post, below) came down from not-quite-the-summit of Mount Gardiner, to find the road that would lead us through fields and fern forests to Elaine’s cabin overlooking the Pacific.

Somebody mentioned that a bus frequents this road. The option of riding back to the village and catching the ferry a day early appealed splendidly to my toes and legs. At the point of decision, Joan asked if I wanted to go on to the cabin (opposite direction from the ferry).

It was really dear of these Canadians to be sharing their special hiking treasures, and I didn’t want to disappoint them. It’s important to know that I’d been praying a lot all day to be a blessing rather than a burden.

When asked about the remaining terrain, was there much up and down, Elaine assured me, “Oh no, just a little up.” Yet it was startling to hear myself agreeing to continue to the cabin.

My prayer at this point became urgent.
“Father,” I said, “If you are sending me to this cabin, you’ll have to get me there. I cannot walk another step.”

In retrospect, this was not a bad prayer. Jesus had explained to his disciples that he could do nothing by himself, but depended totally on his Father in heaven.


It is spiritually healthy to be at the point of realizing that we can do nothing without aid from “above.” Somehow that low mental point often flings thought open to really letting God help. To letting God be God.

My sense of God is that He/She is infinite Mind, always active, always revealing creation, unfolding solutions to our human problems all the time. Mostly it’s a matter of our listening carefully and attentively enough to hear or see them.

Within just a couple of minutes of having agreed to go forward, the pain in my legs vanished. It was just gone. Gratefully I caught up with Joan, and we closed the gap somewhat with the gals who were leading.

In the cabin at last!

The uphill grades were indeed gentle. Cheeses and homemade bread for dinner tasted terrific. After the sun set, candles, substituting for electricity, lent a peaceful warmth to conversation .

And I learned once again the importance of being willing to go forward --whatever that means in one’s particular circumstances.

No comments: