Jan 29, 2008

Changing people's lives - by example

Dan didn't ignore the world's evil.
He just greeted it on his own terms
-- with a smile.

My husband’s dad was a gem. As mentioned in a previous post, he was a consistently happy man. He didn’t ignore the slings and arrows – the unkind, impatient, or evil things of the world. He just chose to meet the world on his own terms – upbeat and cheerfully, with a solid conviction in the inevitability of good.

His daughter Janeen and his wife Rachel recently held a celebration of his life on the West Coast for Dan’s friends and relations out there. They put a great deal of love and care into an interactive presentation that would speak to the hearts of his many friends.

In preparation, Janeen solicited memories by email, and they poured in. I’m told the celebration was a great success, with many people coming despite a major national sports event the same afternoon.

Here’s one of those memories that perfectly defines Dan. I hope you enjoy it. His (other) daughter-in-law wrote:

One time I was with Dan in his car. He was making a turn, and I think he was too far over in someone's driving lane. Well this guy does his angry beep, beep, beep da beep beeps. And then flips Dan the finger.

Dan put his hand up and out of the window, wiggled it in a very friendly like gesture, as if he were waving to a dear, long-lost friend. As we passed the other car, I noticed this guy had an angry, dumbfounded look on his face. Mine probably looked much the same. I exclaimed "Dan, didn't you see what he did ?"

Dan said, "Ooooooooooooooooooh yes, Randi dear." (As only Dan can say it.)

I was very confused and said "Dan, they gave you the finger!"

Dan said, "I know Randi dear, I was giving them all of mine."

So now if anyone flips me off. I just wave back at them with all my fingers and smile. It leaves them with their mouths hanging open, unsatisfied and quite confused. They think I did not get their message. I did, of course. I just prefer to give Dan's message back.


What a tribute to this man. Short of stature, he was big of heart. He never let others control his happiness. He lived a life of choosing to be happy. And by his example, Randi’s attitude towards adversity changed to one of taking charge!

And here is a little poem he liked. It’s simple message may help explain his perpetually cheerful outlook. The title is longer than the poem!

“Minimal Couplet for Praising God and Holding One's Own Joy,” by Neil Millar.


Just
Trust


That’s Dan. He forever trusted in the ultimate triumph of good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve and I use the code "MLD" (more like Dan) quite often when a troublesome situation arises. Life is eternal!

Anonymous said...

"Changing people's lives - by example" What a sweet addition to your blog...I especially enjoy that darling photo of him in his uniform - and of course, with that everlasting smile!

Thanks for continuing to keep this tribute to a happy man alive in our hearts.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to using all my fingers if I find someone only using one. Thanks for offering alternatives! I love hearing this story of Dan.