Nov 10, 2007

Does God have a sense of humor?

Does God have a sense of humor? For sure. How do I know? Because He/She makes me laugh all the time.

For example: driving in Chicago had not been my favorite thing – and, please note, I am putting that in past tense – primarily because city parking has often been a challenge.

I had registered for what promised to be a most interesting program – Hidden Treasures: The voices of women in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam – hosted in downtown Chicago.

So, in my desire to support all things good and womanly, I looked for someone to come along, another set of eyes for locating a parking space. Plenty of interest in the topic, but no takers who were also registered for the event.

I prayed about my reluctance because I was tempted not to go. And the answer that came was Yes, go.

So I just gave it all to God. Something like, “God, since you want me to be part of this gathering tonight, I know you will take me all the way. You would not tell me to go and not provide parking.” I guess this mostly reassured me that I needed to quit grumbling and totally trust that higher power.

My Mapquest route favoring major expressways looked less promising as traffic crawled out of Chicago on the Stevenson – which to my mind should have been uncrowded on a Sunday afternoon.

The idea came to exit on Cermak and take local streets to the church where the event was being held. I had to trust that intuition, because leaving known highways for unknown side streets was pushing me out of my comfort zone.

Exiting the expressway turned out to be an excellent plan. I had to smile while thanking God, who I think of as one infinitely good Mind. When I reached the little residential street where the host church was located, you can imagine my total amazement to see men in orange reflective vests – helping people locate parking spaces on that street!

I was grinning from ear to ear. It was as if the Father (another name for God that’s meaningful to me) was saying, “So, you want help finding parking? Here they are, in bright orange vests!”

“OK, dear Father-Mother, I get it, I’m a believer! Thank you SO much for this sweet gift.”

God's love is expressed in joy and good humor that never puts anyone down, but thoughtfully or spontaneously lets us know God is with us, loving, guiding, rescuing us.

No comments: