Apr 23, 2007

Finding the source of the fun

Looking for the source

Playing with children and animals reminds us that life is intended to be fun. Play is inherent in most creatures, especially, but not only, in the young. I marvel at the athletic skill and pure joy of dogs leaping into the air and snatching Frisbees.

Within the confines of my comfy home, the cats and I play too. What I’ve noticed about cats is they look to the source of an action. If you wiggle a toy on the end of a string, their gaze follows the string to your hand. They look beyond the waggle to the cause. While they will play with the toy, they always want to know the source. What’s causing the fun?

This reminds me to be grateful for the source of all the good in my life. To do more than enjoy the good, to follow the unseen string to its source. To say, OK God, I see what You are doing here, sharing this glorious sunrise with me, or the miracle of tulips opening in spring. Or providing a kind driver who pauses to let others into a line of traffic. I will enjoy these gifts, and give You the credit! Thanks for caring so much! You are the greatest!

No comments: