May 24, 2011

Can you love without an object?

There is a difference, you know.  Between "unselfish" and "unselfed."

Until recently, I’d pretty much considered those two terms synonymous. 

If you think about it, unselfish love can be ego-tinged.  “I am unselfishly giving up my day off to help my neighbor.”  “I am unselfishly doing this or that good deed.”  

Unselfed love is love without self.  It is divine Love expressing itself.

Unselfed love is having no will of my own, but always, ‘Thy will be done.”  Always, "What can I do next for you and your children, dear Father-Mother?”  

Mother love is unselfish, and this mom has several fuzzy
"objects" for her love!

Here are some observations from Mary Baker Eddy, 19th Century religious thinker and healer. 
  • Unselfed love doesn’t take offense.
  • Unselfed love lives the might of goodness for all mankind. 
  • It builds in our hearts a temple to worship God
  • Rejoices in the good of others
  • It keeps us in the Christian life
Most amazingly, unselfed love doesn’t require an object.  It just loves.  As the sun just shines, genuine Love just loves.

1 comment:

Dennis R. said...

I am pondered this. I feel unselfed love is not love that I somehow manufacture myself. It is the Love that comes from God expressing itself through me.